Wednesday 20 October 2010

First Frost

The first frost of the season at the weekend.

I like this sedum. It's probably 'Autumn Joy'. It has rosettes of foliage from spring onwards. Flowers form throughout the summer which start green turning to pink then red. Finally the flowers dry and last through the winter.

Cosmos are half hardy so I cut the last flowers before the frost flattened them. Surprisingly they were unaffected by the frost on Saturday night. They were still flowering Sunday morning, and last nights frost didn't bother them either.

I am preserving these oak leaves with glycerine. I have not tried this before and I am not really sure what I am going to do with them but I wanted something seasonal for the coming months.


The birds are back in the garden. They disappear at the end of the summer.I was putting out washing when this blue tit came for breakfast. I managed to grab the camera before he/she disappeared.

5 comments:

  1. All looks lovely. No frost for us in Virginia yet. Every morning I peer out my door with baited breath, but not yet.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this time of year. Taking Percy out for his walk and then coming home to a lovely warm Cottage.I am just let the garden do its thing and like you feed the birds.
    I am enjoying your blog Lesley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have had frost too and surprisingly not too much was affected. Roses still happy, but the Impatiens are looking mighty bad. I threw out corn to appease the squirrels and got a number of Blue Jays. Time to start feeding the birds here in the falls. The blue tit is a pretty little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that blue tit! No frost here yet. The leaves are changing and all of the dogwoods are a beautiful red. Mums are in full bloom adding lots of color and the zinnias are still going strong. The blooms on my sedum are already rust-colored, but I do love watching it change from spring on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gill - what a great photo of the frosted sedum! Love the blue tit too - nice to see something other than sparrows (like I have in my backyard!)

    ReplyDelete