Sunday 15 May 2011

Rain at last

Since I last blogged we have had rain, for a couple of nights it was very heavy so the garden has had a good drink. It has also been slightly cooler, more like May should be.

The garden is still showing the effects of the mad weather over the past few weeks. The rose 'Gertrude Jekyll' is already in flower and the foxgloves are starting to open but they are half the height they should be. The Lupin 'Gallery Rose' is also starting to flower.


On my kitchen windowsill is a small jug bought yesterday from a charity shop. I've put in some 'Gertrude Jekyll' roses and Aquilegias with some foliage.

'Gertrude Jekyll' Roses with Aquilegias

I've also treated myself to some 'Sarah Bernhardt' peonies. I have recently planted some of these lovely flowers but I think it will be a year or two before I see any blooms.

'Sarah Bernhardt' Peonies

Another plant that has required patience is Ilex aquifolium  'J C van Tol'. This is a holly that is almost spine free. I planted it two years ago and it is in flower for the first time. Hopefully, there will be berries later in the year.

Ilex aquifolium  'J C van Tol'

I have been planting more seedlings for cut flowers. This is a wigwam made from the straight pieces that also grow amongst the contorted stems of Corylus contorta, the Corkscrew Hazel. These straight stems used to really annoy me but now I am happy to have them as they are so useful. I've wrapped string around the poles and planted sweet peas. 

Wigwam made from Hazel

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I love the fluffy pink roses upon first glance I thought they were Peonies.Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got some beneficial rain. We got a deluge last night that beat everything to the ground. One of those "when it rains, it pours" nights. Things will recover, tho.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comeca, sorry I forgot to label photographs.

    Thank you both for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He descubierto tu blog y me ha encantado . Si lo deseas te invito a conocer mi blog.
    Saludos des de EspaƱa. Manoli

    ReplyDelete