Thursday 14 July 2011

The Cutting Garden progress

I ran out of room in Spring for all the seedlings for my cutting garden. Now I look round and wonder why I didn't grow more. Not everything has flowered yet but this is progress so far:

Rhodanthe 'Timeless Rose'. I am growing these specifically for drying but they also look great in the garden. I haven't picked any for a vase so I don't know how they last in water.


Clary is always a good one for my garden. This one, Salvia viridis (syn.hormium) is a new one for me. Lovely coloured bracts.

Ammi majus 'Queen of Africa' is a favourite.

This unknown Poppy was in bud in the morning, opened in the afternoon and was over by evening. However, the best think about them is the seedheads which I love.I hang them in the garage to dry.



 Malope trifida 'Vulcan' is on its own on the left. I don't think I'm keen on it, it seems to look out of place in my garden. The centre jug has a variety of annuals and perennials which include the white flowers of Cosmos 'Purity' (by the handle). The little mug has all the broken bits in it and Hydrangea 'Annabelle' is in the green vase on the right.


This is my line of flowers in the garage. Alchemilla mollis, Rhodanthe 'Timeless Rose' and the unknown Poppies. The poppies are in paper bags to catch the seed as the heads open. The hearts on the right I made from the stems of Cornus alba 'Elegantissima' and the green hoops on the left are stems of Jasminum nudiflorum (Winter Jasmine)

Dates for your diaries:

Belinda at Wild Acre is running an online course in cut flowers. The programme starts tomorrow, I am really looking forward to it.

Secondly Tracy at Foxtail Lilly is on TV tomorrow. Her cutting garden is featured on 'Love Your Garden', the Alan Titchmarsh series on ITV1. You will also be able to see it on the ITV player website after it has been broadcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment